« Of Fly Paper, Esperanto, Algae, Poems, and Polar Bears: In Memory of Ralph Lewin | Main | In the Company of A Microbiology Blogger and Mushroom Hunter »


Dale Hoyt

When did the Monarch tasting occur? It's been known since the 1960's that Monarchs contain toxic alkaloids (cardiac glycosides) that make them unpalatable to many birds. And dangerous for vertebrates to ingest. I suppose a single butterfly might not be as great a risk to a large human as it would be to a bird, but I wouldn't want to risk eating one. (Monarchs do vary in toxicity -- they accumulate the toxins as larvae from the food plants they consume and some of these don't contain the alkaloids.)

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.


Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

Your Information

(Name is required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)